Wednesday 2 June 2010

LIVE PROJECT: John Smedley

The brief for John Smedley was to create an 8 look collection that focused on either, outerwear, underwear, daywear or evening wear etc. I chose to concentrate on underwear/loungewear. Below are my final boards, knit samples and a little blurb about my research.

Click on any image to view larger.



Line Up Board




Technical Board



Knit Samples





Design Development Board




Mood Board

John Smedley is respected not only for its heritage but also its ability to move with the times. Bearing this in mind, I decided to start researching into quintessentially British outdoor pastimes, such as hunting and fishing. Whilst visiting the ‘Van Doesburg and the International Avant-Garde’ exhibition at the Tate Modern I noticed similarities between these modernist art pieces and the tartan and checked panels within my research. I wanted to attempt to reinvent this classic, conformist look by bringing in modernist imagery from the ‘De Stijl’ movement. I discovered a knitted swimsuit in Spitalfields market, which inspired me to concentrate on undergarments in my design work. The combination of the three elements started to inspire my silhouette as volumous outer layers over knitted undergarments.

Please click here to visit John Smedley website.

No comments:

Post a Comment